Which ITSM process fits the best for this need?

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
imthenachoman

Tue May 19, 2015 4:34 pm

I'm in no way an ITIL or ITSM expert but our company is working on adopting it. Our team has come across a need and, from the little I have read/studied, I feel like SPM/SCM/SLM fit the best. I was hoping for some feedback/ideas/thoughts. My goal is to take my idea to the respective process manager but I don't want to sound like an idiot which is why I've come here hoping to be educated a little.

Overview
  • our company provides a service to customers
  • our company has numerous applications that provide those services
  • each application is owned by a different team/person
  • my organization (within the company) provides services to the application (essentially we provide 24x7 monitoring of the application)
  • we don't provide the service to every application, just the ones that want it
What we need is a way to manage the services WE offer TO the application.
  • Something that says what services we offer: SCM?
  • Something that houses the agreement with all the application teams that we're providing the service for: SLM?
  • Something that houses all the information we need from our customers (application teams) in order to provide the service they want (like who to notify if it stops working): SLM?
Basically, I am wondering if my thought process is right. If SCM/SLM would be the best process for our needs.

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed May 20, 2015 2:08 am

ITIL is a better practice for IT Service Management

What are SPM/SCM/SLM
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
imthenachoman

Wed May 20, 2015 7:52 am

UKVIKING wrote:ITIL is a better practice for IT Service Management

What are SPM/SCM/SLM
Service Portfolio/Catalog/Level Management

I understand ITIL is but I'm wondering which ITSM process would be the most appropriate. I ask cause my company is adopting tools for each ITSM process and we'd like to leverage them but I'm not sure which process is the best.
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed May 20, 2015 5:05 pm

Then take some time to investigate what ITIL is and what is not.
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri May 29, 2015 2:30 am

You can easily get in an awful state when you start trying to analyse services to services rather than services to customers. ITIL is essentially about services to customers and the people providing the services are more commonly referred to as operational staff than applications staff.
Monitoring of services is related to Availability Management, Service Level Management. Incident Management and Problem Management, and is something that should be done to an appropriate level for all services.

If your organization is sufficiently large a to justify a whole sub-organization for service monitoring then what you need is an Operational Level Agreement with Operations Management to cover the detail of what you do.

By the way it does not make sense to monitor some services and not others if they share infrastructure.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718