Individual Customer Solutions in ITIL?

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
JuGoesITIL

Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:17 pm

Good evening,

I am currently engaged in a research about ITIL processes, especially in the individual customer solution design.

If a customer has a specific problem and is not able to verify which Services he need, he we will specify his needs in a request specification. On the basis of this detailed demand specification the Service Provider will be able to build up a individual customer solution design. The solution design is built on top of defined IT-Services of the service cataloge, means it is not a completely individual solution, but a indivdual solution which orchestrates pre-defined IT-Services together. I am wondering, if such a procedure is covered by ITIL?

My first thought was the 'Request-Fulfilment' process in Service-Operation, however this process focuses on Standard requests, not on such individual solution designs.

Do you have any idea, if this procedure is covered by ITIL and which processes are linked with it?

As I am a pretty new ITIL-user I really appreciate any answers and help.

Thank you very much, greetings.
Julia

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:35 am

First of all, why would a customer be designing the service that the Service Provider is going to be delivering. That would be the role of the Service Design team within the service provider

Second, the use of problem should be rephrased. The context - ITIL - is different.

You need to look at the Service Design processes
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
JuGoesITIL

Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:41 am

Hello UKVIKING,

first of all - thank you for your response.
Maybe my description was not detailled enough. I didn't meant, that the customer is going to design the solution, but the Service Provider. For example a role of IT Service Manager, or Technical Solution Manager could be able to design a solution on top of defined Services. I didn't meant to build a completely new Service or product, but a Orchestration of existing Services.

A example would be: Ordering a computing-instance which exists of different service-elements (for excampe one Service element for CPU (core), one Service Element for RAM (GB), one Service Element for Storage (GB) and so on..)

Yes, in my opinion this is a different Kind of 'request fulfilment' process in Service Operation. As ITIL is Good Practice, there is always a Kind of Interpretation of the process allowed, so I am going to refer to this process and adapt it.

Best regards, Julia