Root Cause in IM - what if customer fault?

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
Zebratta

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi,
I work in a company that develops and sells sofware. We have a technical support team that handles incidents that customers report because they believe are due to our software. We have also a development team that handles problem reports when a software error must be fixed.

Usually, the technical support restores the service to the customer and then, when they believe the root cause of the incident is due to a software defect, they close the incident to open a problem, that is then assigned to development.

However, an incident may also be due to a customer fault.
In general, our customers want always to know the root cause of the incidents they report. The root cause may be related to our software or to their fault.
It is not clear to me what the technical support should do, after service restoration. Should they do an analysis within the incident to understand if the incident was due to the customer or to the software? And then, in this case, if they found a software defect or believe it's a software defect, open a problem? Or should they open a problem to do the analysis and assign the problem to themselves?

Does anyone of you have experience on this scenario? Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot.

ChrissyRayne
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:19 am

I suggest do an analysis to identify the root cause of the problem. If it's a software defect, open a problem and give it to development. If it's otherwise, then do otherwise. Just do whatever is the SOP of the company in these kinds of situations. I think that's a safer approach to this problem.
AshishPathak

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi Zebratta,

Thank you for the question! :)

Please take the incident historical data and do assessment to find the pattern. All the incidents occured due to users knowledge gap, prepare SOPs and give to 1st level support and ask to close the call/incident as information provided (how to).
For a technical incident where root cause is unknown, a problem ticket must be in place to find the root cause and avoid the occurrence.

Hope this will be helpful! :)

Regards,
Ashish