How to handle incidents for user PCs

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
Moog

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:50 am

Hi Guys.

I'm struggling with a concept and am hoping for some assistance.

When you have a large fleet say hundreds or thousands of end user devices with high volumes of incidents to manage what is the sensible approach to updating CI details if you have to replace a device.

I'm told that the update to the CMDB reflecting replacement of a device must always be performed via an approved change request but I have seen what I consider to be a far more pragmatic approach where CI details are updated directly off the back of the incident via a CI update interface in the remedy incident ticket without the requirement to spend 20 minutes per replacement logging a change request and additional time working through the subsequent approval processes.

I know that standard changes are an option but in our organisation a standard change still requires the person initiating the work to log in to remedy , raise a change and wait for approval albeit a cut down version and to be honest our technical staff struggle with the remedy change management interface.

My feeling is that the overhead associated with going through a formal change management process for a simple its an end user device thats is broken and requires replacing type incident does not make a lot of sense but am seeking advice regarding a pragmatic approach.

Thoughts appreciated.

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:51 am

Moog

You have clearly identified a flaw in YOUR Change Management process as well as YOUR Configuration Management process.

Your Change & Configuration Management teams need to spolve this for your company.

Now, having said that, what you should have in place is a IMAC (install, Move, Add, Change) Process for the end user equipment such as laptops, cell phones, etc.

A form /process is still needed to get the new laptop and the old laptop updated in the CMDB.. but a formal change process may not be necessary
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Moog

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:43 am

Thanks for the reply I sort of intuitively knew something wasn't right.

I'll set to work attempting to resolve it.