Outsourced

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
meobeou

Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:19 pm

Consider this scenario and add your thoughts if you have the lust for it. This is not an exam question by the way.

Outsourced infrastructure provider with application ownership and support within the business. Department established within the business to steer the infrastructure provider.

Incident prioritisation has always been based on impact to the business i.e. whether or not a critical application or main work task tool is available. The infrastucture provider wants to set up service levels on their infrastructure components and map them to incident prioritisation and timescales for responding and resolving. All well and good you may think.

Although I believe the infra provider has the best of intentions I can't help feeling that we are losing the "what's important for the business" view. And that for me is the applications and not the underlying technology. There is no CMDB mapping infrastructure services to applications so it would be very difficult implementing such a system anyway.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of situation and care to comment. Perhaps I have been a bit vague if so I'm happy to provide more info.

Lee!

TheITILDoctor
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:31 pm

Unfortunately - if I'm understanding the situation - there may be little you can do. Your company has entered into a legal contract with the (outsourced) service provider, and performance targets are likely already been defined within that contract.

Having said that, if you already have Service Level Agreements in place, you may be able to influence the service provider by sharing those documents. This will help the provider understand current and agreed expectations, and perhaps they will some ability to change performance targets accordingly.

If I've missed something, please add to this thread, and I'd be happy to provide further opinion :-)

Good luck.
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:32 am

My first question is
Does the contract with the Service rovider hav any detailed informaiton about the service levels - response & sresolution against the infrastrcture or the applications that they support

?
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter