Reference Model for an IT System?

Discussion forum dedicated to configuration management and ITIL
andrewjohnson

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:01 pm

Can anyone provide a good resource for a reference model/template for implementing an "IT System" within the CMDB, based on best practices.

We have found a lot of reference material on mapping services down to IT Systems, but can't seem to find a comprehensive model/scheme for IT Systems.

Thanks

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:21 am

You need to give at least a clue as to what you mean by"IT System".
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
BobSchuwob

Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:16 am

You should have a policy on what you define as a CI. You should analyse the IT System to identify which CIs are part of the IT System. You should decide which CIs within the IT System support which other CIs and build up a tree hierarchy based on this. The way the relationships are built up depend on your requirements. If you want to know which server(s) are affected when you change a disk, you should have the relationship defined between server and disk (and the query to extract the information.)
andrewjohnson

Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:56 pm

Thanks.

Although each company will vary on how they define their CI's I would think for the most part they could leverage a common model as a starting point, that would show standard relationships between servers, to software, to network, databases, etc.

Is there any recommended or industry standard templates to use as a starting point?
UKIT
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:50 am

A simple excel spreadsheet can be used to document “high level” configuration items relationships/dependencies as a start.
Mapping configuration Items and their dependencies is no easy task, especially when nothing has been recorded and your starting from scratch.
Datacentre – Computer Cabinets – Networking Devices – Servers – Applications/ Databases – Business Units – Users. (For Example)
IF4IT
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:52 am

andrewjohnson wrote:Can anyone provide a good resource for a reference model/template for implementing an "IT System" within the CMDB, based on best practices.

We have found a lot of reference material on mapping services down to IT Systems, but can't seem to find a comprehensive model/scheme for IT Systems.

Thanks
Hi Andrew,

There is no single, common, or widely accepted IT Model. There are multiple best practice organizations trying to do so but no single one has been proved to work, across the board.

If anyone is telling you otherwise, I would suggest you perform thorough research, to see for yourself.

As for providing references to such models, I apologize but I can't, as it appears to be against the policies of this site to create pointers to anything useful that exists outside of this site. The best I can offer is that you perform searches for things like "IT Data Model" or "Taxonomy of Configuration Item Types".

My Best
The International Foundation for Information Technology (IF4IT)