Services, SLA and IT-Infrastructure CIs

Discussion forum dedicated to configuration management and ITIL
StefanKlein

Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:11 am

Hello,
I have the following situation. My company is delivering the same kind of service(e.g. server hosting) for several customers. I m not sure whether i should just create one service(one datarecord) in CMDB and link them with all servers and manage the control of the ownership via SLA. The second way is to create for every server and every coustomer separte Services.

Is there existing a best practise how to manage a data model for SLAs, Services and IT-Infrastructure CIs?

Thanks for help

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:46 am

If one customers service can be down while another's is up then it would be better to have separately defined services.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
StefanKlein

Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:46 am

Thanks Diarmid. I think it is the only suitable solution.
24sa
Itiler
Itiler

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:25 am

It can be customer based or services Based...

As Mr Diarmid said--- If one customers service can be down while another's is up then it would be better to have separately defined services.

and if u have have dedicated Resources and services for different customer groups then it can be based on customer group. In such case, services for one customer group could be running while that of different group is down.

Diarmid Sir,
Please correct me, if I am not.
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:31 am

I cannot correct you where opinion is involved; I can only disagree or otherwise as I see it.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718