Discrepancy in CMDB data

Discussion forum dedicated to configuration management and ITIL
vampirephenom
Itiler
Itiler

Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:52 am

Hi,

Can someone help me / suggest how can discrepancy in CMDB data be identified and if identified, what measures can be taken to improve and have it up to date?

Thanks and regards,
G

UKIT
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:27 am

When I started in Configuration Management, my first task was to check the accuracy of the CMDB.
The CMDB that I was managing related to servers to include useful attributes and I did the following.

•Performed a physical audit of a number of datacentres
•Compared my findings against what was detailed within the CMDB.
•Adjusted the CMDB accordingly
•Devised a Service Asset and Configuration Management policy
•Promoted the SACM policy throughout the organisation via the intranet and workshops
•Ensured that all changes to Ci’s were managed through the Change Management process in which updating the CMDB was part of the process.
•Attended Change Advising board meetings to represent Service Asset and Configuration Management
•Performed a half yearly audit and spot checks to ensure the process is being followed.

The CMDB was used by the account manager as a mechanism to charge the client, it was therefore imperative the CMDB was accurate.
Jayachand

Wed May 17, 2017 3:39 am

•Performed a physical audit of a number of datacentres

According to the large scale company's where we have multiple locations and
Physical visit is not at all possible can you please give any other way to find out the data.

•Compared my findings against what was detailed within the CMDB.

What all data you have collect for comparison like SCCM and Antivirus and soon
UKIT
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:21 pm

@Jayachand - What type of CI's are you recording within your CMDB including the attributes please.
Organisations can be very different as to how they implement "Service Asset & Configuration Management" including what CI's need to be managed and what type of information needs to be documented about each CI.