Differentiate IMAC and RFC

Discuss and debate ITIL Change Management issues
vjgeorgeinn

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:24 am

Dear All, I am new to this forum,

I have this question for a long time, please explain the difference between IMAC and RFC.

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:17 am

vjgeorgeinn

tell us what you think fall under IMAC and RFC and we will tell you whether you are wrong

... hmmm.. exam question....
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:10 am

There is enough risk of confusion using jargon, but the constant use of acronyms makes it much worse.

I expect that RFC means request for change in this context, but I cannot be bothered looking up (or guessing) IMAC and so I cannot contribute here at the moment.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:29 pm

vjgeorgeinn,

okay, I spotted your post at itsmfi-forum dot org. Does Robert Falkowitz' answer cover it for you?

A request for change is a document requesting a change. IMAC is, apparently a (conceptual) body of procedures designed to facilitate controlled change of computer devices. Any of these changes could be established as so-called "standard changes", but many will not.

In some organizations it may be, I get the impression, that "standard changes" do not require the generation of an RFC. I think this is mainly because, for some incomprehensible reason, people regard an RFC more as a mechanism than as a request.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
Kimm
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:34 pm

An IMAC stands for: Install / Move / Add / Change and it primarily is a desktop related function for ordering new hardware / software, and having it setup at the End Users desk.

Install: New Equipment or Software
Move: Move some office equipment or an office to a new location
Add: Add a peripheral device or another component to an existing system
Change: Change something in a system, such as upgrading an O/S

An RFC is a "Request for Change" and is the same as a "Change Record CR" or a "Change Ticket". An RFC is filled out in an ITSM tool for a Change which will be implented in a production environment's infrastructure.

An IMAC is for desktop equipment and an RFC relates to production infrastructure.
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:09 am

An RFC is not the same as a "change record CR" or a "Change Ticket".
An RFC can lead to these and certainly a change ticket would probably be generated as a result of an RFC.

See my previous post!
William Penn 1644-1718
Kimm
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:24 pm

An IMAC is not considered to be "standard"... it is for procuring, installing and updating desktop hardware & software.

Usually there is an Asset Management task, sometimes automated - which is a lot easier than it used to be in the old days.

In organizations who are outsourcers, you are right, an RFC can indicate that a change needs to be made to a contracted service. The RFC usually goes through an executive level vetting process and the cost of the proposed change is then put forth to the client to see if they wish to implement. Many projects start out this way.

But... in the organization I'm working in now... an RFC is a Change Record, so its open to interpretation.

You also needn't be rude.