Change Management and the Cloud

Discuss and debate ITIL Change Management issues
Change_Architect_Guy

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:13 am

I am trying to gather information as to how others are handling Change Management for cloud vendors/public cloud applications.

Any input or sharing specific information, processes, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

JScratch
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:06 pm

I would second this question, as also being interested in how various companies are handling this.

similar but slightly different in approach
We have local application as well as many applications now in cloud. From a change perspective we have been treating them the same. The differentiator being the deployment method. But we capture the same level of detail. The cloud arch style is much simpler so there is massive savings but the CM portion is roughly the same.

What is different and maybe you mean this by cloud (?) is whether the application is an AUTOMATED deployment vs MANUAL deployment. This year we have started down the path of automating and its been great thus far. We do now have two CM process' though so there's good and bad with that as anyone can imagine but its viewed more as a temporary solution.

In short AUTOMATED deployments we are not requiring change orders for DEV and QA and any other environments outside of PROD. PROD still required change orders. The reason for this choice is we have setup CM requirements in the automation tool like gates. Things have to be just so in order to pass that gate (kind of like built in CM blocks). There is full trace-a-bility with these automated deployments. All dev work, features included with every build have a trail, its quite excellent. These automated deployments are also captured so we can still provide the same levels of reporting as we do with manual changes.

I'm not saying this method is proven yet at this time. But its our path so far. I would love to hear from others if they are doing both manual and automated deployments how they run CM.