Efficiency of Change Management Process

Discuss and debate ITIL Change Management issues

Should e-mail still act as the primary communication method for critical business comms?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 4
LiamHeather

Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:27 am

Hi all,

Considering that the communication involved in the Change Management process is largely delivered via e-mail, I have often found that there is a huge loss of efficiency in this area.

Introducing the first loss of efficiency. I think we have all experienced an overloaded inbox, where perhaps 30-40% of your unread emails are actually relevant, yet those that are not still have to be handled.

Secondly, when it comes to critical Change Management processes, it is likely that critical communications can be lost amongst this sea of irrelevant emails and changes aren't handled as efficiently as they could be.

Furthermore, if we take an example of a Change Request and look at the numbers, more inefficiencies can be found. For example, if we have 50 Change Managers/ Approvers on a request, yet only one Approval is required for the change to take place. 1 Change Manager approves this change relatively quickly, however, there are now 49 redundant and irrelevant emails that will be opened and read when there is no longer need.

Lastly, the fact that email is used as the vehicle of communication for Enterprise Management Systems, means that users have to for example, Raise a request in their given system > Change Manager receives email and opens > Change Manager goes back to Management system and approves > Email is sent to requester > Requester opens email and reads > Requester goes into Management system to check approval > Change can be implemented. This seems like such an unnecessarily lengthy and arduous series of actions for such a simple process.

I feel as though the aforementioned inefficiencies can be applied to a large number of ITSM business processes and it seems a shame to me that this largely ancient system of email is still the primary source of communication in these areas.

Has anyone else struggled with or recognises the loss of time and frustration that surrounds this area? I think we all agree that our inboxes can become overloaded and important information sometimes looked over at least? Thoughts?

Sandys
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:11 am

"Furthermore, if we take an example of a Change Request and look at the numbers, more inefficiencies can be found. For example, if we have 50 Change Managers/ Approvers on a request, yet only one Approval is required for the change to take place. 1 Change Manager approves this change relatively quickly, however, there are now 49 redundant and irrelevant emails that will be opened and read when there is no longer need."

I don't even know where to even begin with this...WOW...
Sandy Spears
Change Manager

"Change Manager" - The person people love to hate!