ITSM Standard Change Windows

Discuss and debate ITIL Change Management issues
leeseinmaine

Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:42 pm

I need to find someone who is in the Change Management field for their company to speak with regarding how they manage their Standard change windows.

My company classifies standard changes as a low risk change to a service or other CI (Configurable Item) for which the approach is pre-authorized by Change Management and follows an accepted and established procedure or work instruction.

I am preparing a proposal to my senior IT management to allow for Production Standard change deployments to happen every day (not the restricted windows we have today). Our numbers have shown that only 5% of incidents over the past year were caused by Standard changes (that number goes down to 0.2% if we compare the number Standard changes that caused incidents to the number of Normal/Standard/Emergency tickets submitted over the past year). I'd like to go upon the lines of a pace layering strategy beginning with smaller, low risk deployments done more frequently.

Statistics from other companies on how they manage their Standard Change Windows will help my cause. Thank you!

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:24 am

Standard Changes usually do not require a Change Management defined maintenance window

Standard changes are just that - standard

the windows for the Standard Changes may be better defined by Operations with advice or FYI giving to change management.

Because the risk / impact is so low, the work does not need the official change windows
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Hoverhead
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:32 am

In addition..Standard changes should not require a conflict check. If you find that this is the case, then this type of change should be a "Normal" change.