Unauthorised/retrospective change

Discuss and debate ITIL Change Management issues
infrapm

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:03 am

Over the weekend I performed a relocation (lift and shift) of a bunch of infrastructure. We had the correct change management in place, but during the implementation we realised we'd need more network switches at the new location than we had in the plan. Based on the need to have a live network on Monday morning, and the cost and paperwork to get engineers back to site at a later date, I made the call to install the additional switches, and immediately follow up with a retrospective change on Monday morning.

I am now being slammed for an unauthorised change. I understand what an unauthorised change is, but I also know ITIL allows for retrospective change to document an emergency fix. While this wasn't necessarily a fix, it was to prevent about 50 people being unable to log in on Monday morning.

The end result was that no incidents were logged on Monday, the client had a working network, and the change management and documentation was completed within 24 hours.

Do I deserve the heat for an unauthorised change?

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Well, first, it all depends on the Change Management policy regarding retrospective change

Frankly, in my book what you did was an unauthorised change- mainly because the project failed to do due diligence and set up the new office properly
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:55 pm

InfraPM

And the main reason you did an unauthorised change is that

YOU MADE THE DECISION.

YOU SHOULD HAVE ESCALATED IT AND GET MANAGEMENT APPROVAL FOR THE RETROSPECTIVE CHANGE

It was not your responsibility but to implement the change that was approved
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Hoverhead
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:29 am

I agree, you should escalated to the on call duty manager for authorization. If you are a small organization and you don't have this course of escalation, then one should be put in place I guess.