Availabilty of a VBF query

Forum to discuss ITIL issues and disciplines covering Service Delivery.
whibbs
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:49 am

You have to protect an IT service during a key period
The exact nature of the service is still being defined
You agree to prioritise requests/incidents at a particular times in the next few months.

In order to manage this effectively – you would do what in terms of logging ?
Perhaps open a problem record and link all incidents/requests to that ?
What else ?
What next ?

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:16 pm

Sorry, I don't understand your question.

VBF means what?

What problem do you have in order to open a problem record?

Logs refer to things already happened. How does setting up a log help you prepare for what is to happen? Why would it be key to managing windows of priority?

Is the key not more to do with preparation? Ensuring resources will be available, ensuring that procedures are in place, ensuring that communications plan is in place, that sort of stuff?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
BorisBear
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:03 pm

Your question is a little random.

Let me suggest that your service seems to be (at least initially) a platinum service and you need to set it up in your ITSM tool so that any tickets (incident, problem or change) attract a high priority and an appropriate level of security.

Putting the tooling and your ability to identify associated tickets to one side, what processes are you putting in place with the support organisation to ensure this is treated as a platinum service?
whibbs
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:18 am

Sorry VBF = Vital Business function
I had this email and suggested this was not a problem but more to to with availability, wasnt sure then how to progress matters.

"Following a discussion with fred bloggs we will be offering an enhanced IT service during the ******** period. The exact nature of the service is still being defined but in essence we have committed to prioritise some of her teams requests/incidents at particular times in the next 2 months.

In order to manage this effectively we have created a Problem Record and will link all incidents to this call. Please note that we have agreed with fred bloggs that he is the only person that can request this enhanced service.

Whilst we develop the details of this service please can I request that you and your teams prioritise any calls highlighted by Service Desk.
BorisBear
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:30 am

whibbs wrote:Sorry VBF = Vital Business function
I had this email and suggested this was not a problem but more to to with availability, wasnt sure then how to progress matters.

"Following a discussion with fred bloggs we will be offering an enhanced IT service during the ******** period. The exact nature of the service is still being defined but in essence we have committed to prioritise some of her teams requests/incidents at particular times in the next 2 months.

In order to manage this effectively we have created a Problem Record and will link all incidents to this call. Please note that we have agreed with fred bloggs that he is the only person that can request this enhanced service.

Whilst we develop the details of this service please can I request that you and your teams prioritise any calls highlighted by Service Desk.

It's a means to an end I suppose but it's a bastardization of Problem Management in ITIL terms