What is the right way to do this?

Forum to discuss ITIL issues and disciplines covering Service Delivery.
whibbs
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:59 am

I had this email and suggested this was not a problem but more to to with availability, wasnt sure then how to progress matters.

"Following a discussion with fred bloggs we will be offering an enhanced IT service during the ******** period. The exact nature of the service is still being defined but in essence we have committed to prioritise some of her teams requests/incidents at particular times in the next 2 months.

In order to manage this effectively we have created a Problem Record and will link all incidents to this call. Please note that we have agreed with fred bloggs that he is the only person that can request this enhanced service.

Whilst we develop the details of this service please can I request that you and your teams prioritise any calls highlighted by Service Desk.

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:31 pm

Whibbs,

why have you opened a new thread for this?
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
swal87
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:22 am

whibbs wrote:I had this email and suggested this was not a problem but more to to with availability, wasnt sure then how to progress matters.

"Following a discussion with fred bloggs we will be offering an enhanced IT service during the ******** period. The exact nature of the service is still being defined but in essence we have committed to prioritise some of her teams requests/incidents at particular times in the next 2 months.

In order to manage this effectively we have created a Problem Record and will link all incidents to this call. Please note that we have agreed with fred bloggs that he is the only person that can request this enhanced service.

Whilst we develop the details of this service please can I request that you and your teams prioritise any calls highlighted by Service Desk.
I would suggest that creating a Problem record will only skew figures and reporting when going forward. Essentially you are saying that any incident logged by Fred Bloggs will be treated as a Problem in order to raise visibility, however in most situations a problem record has a longer SLA period to find a structural resolution, therefore all you are potentially doing is extending the resolution time and creating confusion when you look back on this historically.

Lets put it another way, if 2 or 3 other departments had a business pattern that demanded greater response times during a peak period, would you also add them to the problem process you have created. This would get awfully complex and would cause more harm than good.

What you need to do is to sit down with the business departments representatives and get their requirements and understand their patterns of demand. This information can then be discussed with IT departments to ensure a Service Level is documented that can be maintained and affordable to IT, whilst providing the Business with there requirements.

Far too often, SLA are just guess work by IT departments who don't really understand the business, also the business are not always sure what SLA's they need, until they need it.

To summarise, I would create a service level agreement that is appropriate to the service that the users require and that IT can provide. Keep adding calls to your incident system where they should be and assign the call to the appropriate SLA.

Simples!!!!

Let us know how you get on, but please don't log them in Problem!
whibbs
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:32 am

Diarmid wrote:Whibbs,

why have you opened a new thread for this?
I didnt get a good enough answer and thought my subject title wasnt catchy enough
whibbs
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:33 am

[quote="swal87To summarise, I would create a service level agreement that is appropriate to the service that the users require and that IT can provide. Keep adding calls to your incident system where they should be and assign the call to the appropriate SLA.

Thank you this helps a gtreat deal cheers
swal87
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:59 am

No problem whibbs,

You just need to understand the business patterns and strategy that you are supporting. Don't go overboard and offer the earth if IT can't deliver.

After all, I would love all my Incidents to be fixed in 10 minutes, however in reality im not prepared to pay for that service and can make do with a cheaper more appropriate level.

P.S. The easy part in my experience is setting the SLA, getting the Service desk to log against the correct SLA is a different ball game altogether!!!