Work Between Service Desk Guys and Asset Management

Forum to discuss ITIL issues and disciplines covering Service Delivery.
NAMP-Bala

Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi Team,

Apologies, if I should have asked this query in some other window/indexes.

In our software company, we are gonna install one of the Asset management tool( Numara) soon to discover every objects, pc, servers..etc.

I am going to work in Service Desk to interact with this asset management tool/management guys.

We are not completely confident, what service desk part would be? I meant, i am not sure, what kind of work will i do.. just to monitor and to update configuration items, if that tool is not able to discover some of the devices?

If anyone came over this or if you have any experience, what are the tasks performed by service desk( also helpdesk), when they interact with asset management tool( as well as management guys).

I am new to this ITIL. so if this would be explained in easiest way, that would help me lot

Please assist in this, as I would like to share your ideas with my company.

Thanks,
Bala :)

NAMP-Bala

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:39 am

Hi Experts & Team,

Could you please assist with the above query?

I am sorry to remind about this again, as this is bit urgent.

Thanks,
Bala
BorisBear
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:55 am

The CMDB provides details of supported assets and their relationships to the Service Desk
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 am

These are not the SLAs that you are looking

OK.

Please move along
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Nikon

Mon May 23, 2011 3:19 am

Hello Bala, :D

First we need an understanding about the service desk and Asset Management team,

Service desk is a function
Asset/Configuration Management is a Process

Service desk is a first line incident resolving team and they would record every event /incident / quairy in the given tool , in your case it would be the numara tool,

As a part of Service desk you will never need to interact with the Asset /Configuration Management directly as the tool would supply and carry all the information to the CMDB but sometimes for eg:- let us say you need information about a specific asset or a laptop that needs rectification and you need to understand its exact location and service tag incase if the information is not avaialble in the asset record (Laptop record in numara) you might need to contact asset management for the same

In other words you can raise tickets or request towards the CMDB team with the list of assets and with the specified information that is missing and CMDB would take care of it for you
I tried to simplyfy this to the max possible hope this would help you

Regards,
Tirumala Aditya
Speacilist -IT Service Management