Before deploy do Release Mgmnt describe new feature to OPS ?

Forum to discuss ITIL issues and disciplines covering Service Delivery.
bluecat
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Gentlemen,

Before deploy any new changes, do you think Release Mgmnt need to describe all those new feature/functionality to Operation Support staff? And then go for deployment.

Or should be after deployed once Release Mgmnt would found new feature/functionality working correctly.

What ITIL says? And your real life experience says?

Thanks.

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:27 am

Before I answer this question, may I enquire why you do not wish

I suppose it entirely depends on what you wish to encompass in the scope of your release management.

You could take the view that the operational documentation should exist before submission to release management (or even before submission to change management) because it is (or should be) part and parcel of the product.

Or you could design a system whereby it was incorporated into the release process. But I do not see how you can have attained operational acceptance to go ahead before the documentation has been presented to and validated by the operations section. So it surely needs to be in place before the implementation.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
SteveGriff

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:47 am

bluecat wrote:Gentlemen,

What ITIL says? And your real life experience says?

Thanks.
My real life experience suggests that in the work environment people do not like surprises.

In most cases, I'd be looking for ways to give anyone who is affected by the change a heads up on when it's going to happen and what the changes are, and the risks, impact etc. Whether this is something you should be doing or someone else depends on your release process.