CSI Register Acceptance Criteria

Forum to discuss ITIL issues and disciplines covering Service Delivery.
GOC
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:02 am

Hi All,

I'm currently the process owner of CSI within our organisation and we currently have a CSI register in place.

Currently all process owners (Change, Problem etc) meet with me on an ad hoc basis, I review what they want to put it on the register and then normally it's added.

We've a stage 2 ISO20k audit pending and i'm currently wrapping a process around CSI but i'm struggling with ideas on acceptance criteria for the CSI Register rather than a "yea that sounds good" approach.

Anyone any ideas or suggestions?

Many Thanks and much appreciated!

Regards,

GOC

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:49 pm

Measurable benefits. Resource estimates. Costs of not doing it. Urgency and value.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
GOC
Itiler
Itiler

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:29 am

Hi Diarmid,

Thanks for your input, very good feedback.

In your opinion, for example if you were the gatekeeper of the CSI Register and were having a one to one with a process owner who wanted to add something to the register, would you ask them to demonstrate evidence against each of the acceptance criteria before adding?

Also, would you suggest the answer needs top be yes for each or have a points scoring system in place where they needed to receive a certain score?

Many Thanks,

GOC
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:10 am

What you do depends on how far along the track you place the gate. But the gatekeeper is concerned with the readiness to do the work and the quality of the case as well as the value or importance of the work.

If you have point scoring, you have to be careful because the value of the work is most important, but there is not much to be gained if the preparations are poor or the solution poorly thought out. You have to distinguish between projects that are not yet ready to put in the register and those that are not worth doing.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
GOC
Itiler
Itiler

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:59 am

Ok. I think in my case i'll boserve the service improvement that the stakeholder is proposing, base it on the suggested acceptance criteria and use a "common sense" approach base on my judgement of the proposal.

On the register it would then be categorised by a method of delivery i.e. Project required, "Just do it" etc.

Thanks again for yout help.