How best to support sales team in IT services company?

Forum for job seekers and employers in the ITIL arena.
rwhittaker

Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:53 am

i have an interview presentation coming up for a Service Operations Manager position and need to do a speil on how to support and work with the sales team for this IT services company.

i have years itil awareness and background in IT management but lack in direct commercial experience

can anyone lend please a few real world insights in how best the service operations manager can work with the sales team in delivering new revenue into the business?

many thanks

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:41 pm

Now why didn't I think of that. Getting advice on a topic I don't have experience and knowledge of to present at interview? After all I've done more than a few interviews in the last couple of years. There was even one interview I cancelled because I could not get deep enough into the presentation. My reasoning:

1. I would not want to be me when my shortcomings were found out.

2. I realized that If I could not cope with the presentation, it was extremely likely that the job was not right for me anyway; they were wanting a profile somewhat different from mine.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
rwhittaker

Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:30 pm

indeed there is nothing more dodgy and disastrous in an interview than trying to make out you're something that you're not.

in this topic however i could do with some conceptual pointers from someone in the sales field, though since posting i've summised that the best ways to support the sales team is in their ...

product definition, for which a full and up to date service catalogue would support

quality assurance, for which the service metrics would assist

generating new business, for which the customer service reviews would help enable
Timo
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:54 pm

You can't work with sales people. You just can't.
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:11 pm

Timo wrote:You can't work with sales people. You just can't.
I did. Once.

I guess that is where I started to go wrong.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
TomOzITIL_2
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:05 am

I think you guys are a bit harsh. If you park the job interview element for a moment, it is a really good question to ask.

You can replace "sales people" with "business engagement" or "relationship management".

It is a good thing to contribute to the value proposition of your IT organisation whether internal IT or a MSP.

What you need to do is try to find some differentiators that your competition are awful at or you can be better at.

Thought starters:
Do the right things:
* contribute to business cases, ROI
* help the business make good decisions based on quality data and insightful analysis
* acknowledge and stop things that are not working (you'd be surprised how little that happens)

Do things right:
* optimise processes (take out unnecessary steps, automate a good manual process if it makes sense)
* motivate, challenge, encourage, train, measure, reward YOUR PEOPLE
* behave ethically, treat people (customers, users, colleagues, vendor partners) well, tell the truth, earn and retain trust
* translate your operational achievement into something that is meaningful to the business (99.999 availability means what in business terms?)
* get into the mind of you customer's customer, ie: if you're supporting a business application for an insurance company that processes claims, how can you come up with some ideas that help them provide a better experience for the public that they are service (eg: faster approval, make the business easier to buy from)

my 0.21cents