Foundation Study Material

Discussions related to ITIL certification, training and exams.
thevampire

Mon May 18, 2009 6:28 am

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon May 18, 2009 9:04 am

John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
thevampire

Mon May 18, 2009 10:55 am

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue May 19, 2009 3:44 am

John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
LizGallacher
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Sat May 23, 2009 6:08 am

Liz Gallacher,
ITIL EXPERT
Accredited ITIL and ISO/IEC20000 Trainer and Consultant - Freelance
dam
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:13 am

Thanks Liz for this very useful information! (I've been working with ITIL for a while and now I've finally decided to pass the exam...)
LizGallacher wrote:At the riskof repeating myself...
ITIL V3 Foundation Handbook ISBN: 9780113311712
and/or
Foundations of IT Service Management Based on ITIL V3
ISBN: 9789087530570
and/or
Passing your ITIL Foundation Exam - The Official ITIL Foundation Study Aid
ISBN: 9780113310791
dam
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:52 am

Hi Liz,
a quick update (I've just ordered these books ), the third one is now available in a new edition (Published: 30 Sep 2009):

Passing your ITIL® Foundation Exam - 2nd Edition
ISBN: 9780113312061

cheers,
Dam
Timo
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:37 pm

I think people put way too much emphasis and effort in obtaining the study material. I studied for V3 out of a 50 page ITIL v3 summary. Was enough to pass. The bigger question is always WHY you are doing the exam? If ITIL is your cup of tea then no book will replace the experience. Books give guidance and suggestions but then there is a real world where "the best" (or the good now) practice from the book goes out the door because of XYZ.

IMHO if you just discover the ITIL acronym you won't full appreciate it from reading 5 ridiculous boring volumes of V3. You will get a far greater benefit from attending a class where topics can be discussed and mapped to real life experiences and scenarios. That's how the knowledge gets solidified.

Sorry, went on a bit of a rant here and probably didn't address the question in the first place.
dam
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:13 pm

Hi Timo,
I understand your position but I don't agree with you on one point, you say "no book will replace the experience". I think that when you have field experience, even ITIL oriented field experience as in my case, you have to get trough the books to have a look a what you have done and what you know from a strict ITIL point of view. Then what is nice about ITIL is that you can adapt it to reality but to pass the exam I think you have to stick to the books. This also a reason for me to go for the exam beside the certificate: getting back to the fundamentals of ITIL after a lot of operational ITIL.
I agree with you a training class is far better than study alone (even if... I've heard people complaining about trainings focused on "how to pass the exam" more than truly understanding ITIL) but I've not been clever enough to make my last company pay for it so now I'm in between jobs and I go for a self-study for pure budget reasons...
Regards,
Dam
Timo
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:31 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like discouraging you from studying the books. I guess the meaning of my rant was that you'd get a better value from a classroom. (provided the trainer is good)
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:30 am

dam wrote:... you have to get trough the books to have a look a what you have done and what you know from a strict ITIL point of view.m
Dam, I don't disagree with your post, except there is no such thing as strict ITIL other than in exams. The ITIL point of view is broad. So what you will step back to is the bigger picture to give perspective to your experience.

I'm sure that is what you were saying and I only mention it for the benefit of others (beginners) reading this thread.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718