What after RCV ?

Discussions related to ITIL certification, training and exams.
tomkin
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:56 am

Hi Guys,

First post !!

I am working as a Release Manager(in the Service Transition area) for my company and planning to increase my ITILv3 credits in order to attain ITIL Expert level.

I have RCV certification already, just wondering what certifications I should get next.

Which route will be better :-
a) SD, ST,CSI, or
b) SD,SO,CSI, or
c) SS,SD,SO,CSI ?

I am really not interested in having another capability stream, but I may be wrong in my selection.

What do you guys think will be a better option to get an overall expertise in ITILv3.

Thanks,
Tomkin

BorisBear
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:58 pm

Tomkin

If thats your line of thinking then I honestly think the status of 'Expert' will be completely lost on you.

Collecting qualifications and going on more courses than Tiger Woods does not make you a true expert........being versed in the application of a variety of complimentary viewpoints in a real world environment does.

My advice would be to try other roles (e.g. SLM, Problem Management, etc) and develop an appreciation for them.

Capability streams are just supposed to underline knowledge most of which you already possess. If it is just about the qualifications then I suggest you go the lifecycle route.....and I hope you fail :lol:
LizGallacher
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:01 am

If you think that you will remain in the Release Area, I would recommend Option A as the most useful and relevant, but do not just collect points for the sake of it
Liz Gallacher,
ITIL EXPERT
Accredited ITIL and ISO/IEC20000 Trainer and Consultant - Freelance
aucade
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:42 am

If your just out for the certification you`ll need option C plus MATLC. Option A won`t work because the ST doesn`t count when you have RCV. Option B isn`t enough credits.
LizGallacher
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:50 am

Option Aould be the most useful for the job role. Should Tomkin wish to proceed to Expert level, he would need to broaden his knowledge, but not combining ST and RCV because of the "wasted points" would be wrong as far as having a Release Manager who understands Transition thouroughly is concerned. The 2 courses take different views of the topic.
Liz Gallacher,
ITIL EXPERT
Accredited ITIL and ISO/IEC20000 Trainer and Consultant - Freelance
tomkin
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:27 am

Thanks everyone for their feedback.

Thanks for the good wishes Boris :)

In this day and age when the company says there is budget for training, sumbit your requirements. I am not happy to say no :)

Yes, I do not want to sit for the exams and collect credits one after the other. I am planning a long term path here. May be in 3 years time for expert.

I take your point about combining RCV and ST. There is a big overlap there and I think RCV exam is tougher then ST (let me know if I am wrong).

I am not too fussed about collecting credits or only doing the options that i wrote earlier. I am open the best set of skills I can gather.

What do you guys reckon should be my next 2 obvious training choices, if I want to remain in Release Area or Advance Up the hierarchy.

What trainings would best complement my area of expertise ?

Regards,
Tomkin
tomkin
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:28 am

BorisBear wrote:.....and I hope you fail :lol:
BTW, are you change manager in your Org :D
BorisBear
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:09 am

tomkin wrote:
BorisBear wrote:.....and I hope you fail :lol:
BTW, are you change manager in your Org :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No....but I used to be a change manager......I never really liked change, it was so unsetlling.

Try Problem Management....thats always a giggle.
DYbeach
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:40 pm

tomkin wrote: I take your point about combining RCV and ST. There is a big overlap there and I think RCV exam is tougher then ST (let me know if I am wrong).
ST is tough, but then I sat it after having studied for RCV
Seriously though, it depends on where you see your career path taking you, apart from the pub
DYbeach
ITIL V3 Release, Control & Validation,
ITIL V3 Operation SUpport & Analysis
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
tomkin
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:07 am

Thanks for the help everyone. Will submit SO and CSI as my requirements then.

Regards,
Tomkin