ITIL v3 Foundation Exam Requirements

Discussions related to ITIL certification, training and exams.
dmontgo

Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:06 pm

Hello,

I'm still fairly new in my career- I have a BS in Informatics, I'll be starting classes again in about 1 year to obtain my MBA, and possibly my CAPM. I've been around at my job for around 1.5 years, and I'm being put in charge of various system implementations and management tasks for our dept. that are very much Service oriented, and from the way things look, this is just the beginning. It's an academic environment, with 4 acadademically autonomous campuses, though the administration is looked at as a single entity. I am currently and will continue to collaborate with the IS departments at other campuses, some of which are following ITIL practices. I'm unsure if my particular campus will decide to follow ITIL practices, but the fact remains that I will be working with a lot of people that will be using them, and as our list of services grows, I think that many of the concepts could be valuable to us.

That said, I am interested in pursuing the v3 Foundation cert- I've tried to read up on it as best I can, but it seems that I'm mostly finding older information, or conflicting information.

My biggest questions are the following:

Am I required to take a course before sitting for the exam? I've heard that a ~16 hour course, online or instructor led is required.

What material does the v3 Foundation cover in the textbooks? I've come across the 'OGC' collection of 5 'official' books several times- do these encompass everything covered in the exam?

I think ITIL will be helpful for me in my current situation- even though I'm not actually a manager I'm still very much at the helm of several projects- am I right in thinking that ITIL could be helpful? Or should I simply be looking at CAPM / PMP?

Thanks!

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:50 am

your answers can be found by going to the official site for itil not here

try search for itil certification

apmg
ogc
itsmf
bcs
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
dmontgo

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:12 pm

UKVIKING wrote:your answers can be found by going to the official site for itil not here

try search for itil certification

apmg
ogc
itsmf
bcs
I've done quite a bit of searching- the ITIL site seems to say that a course is required before I can take the foundation exam- however I have found exam sites that say no coursework is required to sit for the v3 foundation exam, though it is highly recommended.

Does anyone have an experience of their own that demonstrates certain requirements?
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:08 pm

search also works in this forum...

note there are lots of answers already about this basic question
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
dmontgo

Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:41 pm

UKVIKING wrote:search also works in this forum...

note there are lots of answers already about this basic question
FYI- When most of the threads concerning V3 Foundation end with your post saying 'Search the forum" or "RTFM" - then no, search doesn't really work.

Thanks for the tip
DYbeach
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:22 pm

There is something that may help you, but not it is not the equivalent of doing a course. Or buying the books. btw if you decide not to do a course, buying the books really is a must imho

Go on youtube and look for posts by islebeebach. Lots of clips around 8 to 9 minutes long on different aspects of V3.
DYbeach
ITIL V3 Release, Control & Validation,
ITIL V3 Operation SUpport & Analysis
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
LizGallacher
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:06 pm

From a previous post
A self-study course is better than just studying yourself, but it can be done. You need to get a copy of the syllabus from one of the examination bodies (EXIN, ISEB, APMG), and start reading. Buying all 5 books would cost as much as a course, but buying the Key Element guides, and (I would recommend) the Van Haren book which covers the whole Lifecycle is fairly economical. Finally the new Pocket Guide from itsmf covers the Foundation syllabus too, and only costs £10.
You also need to get hold of the official Mock Exams (available from EXIN, amongst others).

As a trainer, i would argue that the interaction with other students, tutor's explanations, exam guidance etc, is better, but not everyone can afford it.
Liz Gallacher,
ITIL EXPERT
Accredited ITIL and ISO/IEC20000 Trainer and Consultant - Freelance
DYbeach
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:35 pm

I thought Van Haren was a rock band :lol:
DYbeach
ITIL V3 Release, Control & Validation,
ITIL V3 Operation SUpport & Analysis
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
TomOzITIL_2
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:14 am

Easy answer is to get your employer to pay for your course.

Also, and this is just a personal opinion of mine, but nobody should be allowed to do an MBA until they have 10+ years industry experience. Snotty-nosed rich kids only serve to detract from the value of an MBA, as do business schools who accept them.