Operationl Support and Analysis Cert

Discussions related to ITIL certification, training and exams.
vz-r_Dave
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:00 am

Hi Guy's

Passed my V3 Foundation a long time ago and am now progressing on to intermediate. Currently reading through the Service Operation book and plan on taking the Operational Support and Analysis cert hopefully in late January. My question is for those who have already taken the exam and your thoughts on the question structure. Any pointers or tips on things I should be reading up on etc.

Thanks

Dave

DYbeach
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:09 pm

I do believe you have to do a training course before sitting for the post foundation certifications, Dave
DYbeach
ITIL V3 Release, Control & Validation,
ITIL V3 Operation SUpport & Analysis
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
vz-r_Dave
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:02 am

Yes a 4 day course with an exam at the end, 3K sterling I believe. I am hoping to get funding for it through work as I cant foot that without them unfortunately.
DYbeach
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:10 pm

If there are any sample exams about it would be good to go over those several times.
Absorb as much of the books as you can. Probably for each process yo should know several inputs, outputs and triggers.
The more you do prior to the course the better imho because it's a massive amount of information and learning to cram into 4 days

Liz would be better placed to advise you as she teaches the stuff
DYbeach
PMI CAPM (R)

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell
vz-r_Dave
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:30 pm

Thanks for the information, I will contact Liz.

Dave
LizGallacher
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:35 pm

In case anyone else is interested, this was my reply to Dave -
"Unfortunately there are hardly any mock papers available, which your training provider should give you as part of your course. The questions are looking for application and management awareness more than knowledge, strangely.
There is a new book which I have not read myself
ITIL V3 Capability Operational Support & Analysis Handbook (OSA) ISBN: 9780113312085
It is only £10, and the blurb says
Following on from the highly successful ITIL V3 Foundation Handbook, itSMF UK's Publications Committee have produced two new pocket reference guides (co-branded by itSMFI and TSO) for those following the Intermediate Capability qualification.

Van Haren books are good, they have one called
Service Operation based on ITIL V3 Management Guides (english version)
ISBN: 9789087531270
I advise you try reading these"
Liz Gallacher,
ITIL EXPERT
Accredited ITIL and ISO/IEC20000 Trainer and Consultant - Freelance
ITPC

Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:53 am

Hi Dave,

Have you considered doing an online course?

£587.50 for the online course, exam + support is much better than sitting in a classroom for three days and coughing up between £1,500 and £3K....

Just a thought...
LizGallacher
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:45 am

Although on-line courses can be good, and I have recently been doing development in this area, I would be very hesitant about these for Intermediate. You may well pass the exam, but how much you would actually learn.....
Liz Gallacher,
ITIL EXPERT
Accredited ITIL and ISO/IEC20000 Trainer and Consultant - Freelance
DYbeach
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:07 pm

I have been doing an on-line course for the last 3 months. It's part of post graduate Uni work.
The course material is the relevant ITIL book, plus other material (e.g. for RCV most of the syllabus is derived from the ST book but not all, so the other parts are supplied too) plus an on-line tutorial every week. There are assignments as well. I think there are benefits to this method, as there is a lot of subject matter, and to absorb it meaningfully in 4 days is virtually impossible imho.
But on the other hand if my employer offered to fund me to sit the 4 day course followed by the exam I would say yes please thanks very much
DYbeach
PMI CAPM (R)