Service Catalog

Discuss topics on the fringe of ITIL, including relationships with other approaches.
ThHaas

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:26 am

Hi @ all,

I am seaching for a tool in which i can create a Service Catalog.
Does anyone know a tool or a link for free?
Thanks for answers
Tom

Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:42 am

scalc in OpenOffice.org could meet your requirements. In fact swrite might do the trick.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
ThHaas

Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:57 am

Thanks Diarmid,
but i search for a Tool to create a Service Catalog.
I have to design a Service Catalog, and i don`t khow how to begin, or what should be in a Catalog. So it would be helpful if i found an example or even a tool to create this.
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:06 am

You don't need a tool until you know what you are going to build. If you get a specific tool first you will be driven to design your service catalogue along the tools perception rather than meeting your requirements.

Your service catalogue will contain itemized services and information about them.

Beyond that, it depends what you want it for. Who will use it? What information will they want to obtain from it?

Some organizations build a service catalogue to tell their users or customers what services are available. Others build it to tell themselves what services they provide. Others combine the two roles.

At one end of the spectrum the catalogue might describe what services do and how to obtain and use them. At the other it might identify the underpinning components that each service depends on. There could be contact and management responsibility information. There could be a roadmap of the future of the service.

I could go on speculating and adding to the list, but that does not help you. You need to start by establishing why your organization wants a service catalogue; what it will be used for; who will use it; how it will be maintained; and stuff like that. It is often the case that answering those questions leads directly to how it needs to be designed and then to what tools are needed for it.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
swansong
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:34 pm

I would ask, why do you need a service catalogue?

Is there a genuine business need which will be fulfilled by such a tool, or have you been asked by someone to provide a service catalogue.

I'll wager my glass of white wine it is the latter.

In which case, find out why the person in question wants a service catalogue. Really interrogate them, get them to specify their requirements, get them to define the business problem which will be resolved by implementing a catalogue, and then determine whether a catalogue is the solution to their problems.