IF4IT and the use of English

Discussion of any ITIL or related issues that don't fit well into any of the above.
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:15 am

Apropos of my mention elsewhere today of the use of "i.e.", here is a short example from theIF4IT website, not coincidentally in the section on configuration management:
The readers will notice that most sections in the Table of Contents (TOC) use a format where the TOC entry is prefixed with a topic name, followed by a short descriptive title (e.g. "TOPIC_NAME: TOPIC_RELATED_SECTION_TITLE").
In this case I can say with certainty that "e.g." is incorrect and that "i.e." would be correct.

An example(!) of correctly using "e.g." in that context would have been:

...(e.g. Taxonomy: Understanding Configuration Management Classifications or Categorizations)...

Guess I'm in a good mood today.

"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
IF4IT
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:03 am

Thank you Diarmid for catching the error. I will pass the correction on.

Unlike the ITIL books, which take years to propagate corrections, you'll notice that the corrections get deployed rather rapidly on IF4IT.com (one of the many advantages of open content).

If you find anything else please feel free to let me know.

My Best
The International Foundation for Information Technology (IF4IT)