I think my brother has a computer addiction.

Discussion of any ITIL or related issues that don't fit well into any of the above.
ChrissyRayne
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:20 am

It started when he downloaded this RPG game online through his friends' recommendation. Of course, he was pretty into the game. But, he was into the game too much. Oftentimes he would forget to do his homework and sleep really late (3 am latest). My dad tried to ground him by removing the computer, but he found a way to play the game in his friend's house or an internet cafe.
What should we do? Tbh, we're not sure of who to approach or where to go (like a hospital or a rehab center or what). For now, we've filed him an LOA in school and we're letting him do his computer games but with short breaks. I'm really concerned and don't know what to do. I feel like he isn't even my brother anymore.

CraleneAguilar
Itiler
Itiler

Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:10 pm

There are available therapy sessions for addiction. It can be online and offline. Check out Talkspace or any other similar organization.
ChrissyRayne
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:16 am

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it. I was looking into what you said and found an article from BetterHelp about dealing with gaming addiction. It seems that it can be beneficial for him to join group counseling activities. I would recommend that to him and hopefully, he would try it.