Losing visibility of service requests

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
Ljdigih

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Hi,

Sorry if this has already been asked but I haven't been able to find anything. I was hoping to get some feedback/discussion/ideas on best practices for fulfilling service requests - specifically when they can't be fulfilled by the service desk and are handed off to a different group.

We aren't using an official service desk software system right now which is part of the problem. Currently, a request comes in and a ticket is created. Depending on what it is, it then has to go through a couple of approval/review steps and then to IT/OPs group for estimation and fulfillment. It then goes back to the Service Desk.

The problem is what to do when it is handed off? If we assign the ticket to one of these different groups, the Service Desk team loses visibility of it. :evil: We are able to still receive notifications when they update the ticket but it doesn't show up on our list of open tickets anymore so it sometimes gets forgotten. :roll: I was wondering what others were doing, what the best practice was...

Anything you can provide is greatly appreciated.

UKVIKING
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:35 am

the service desk needs to track an incidents period

it is their job
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Ljdigih

Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:10 am

THanks. I know they need to track them but how can they track them if they have assigned them to someone else to fulfill?
jpgilles
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:17 am

To me, in ITIL concepts, the incident should stay with the service desk; a task should be assigned to one (or more) support group(s), with proper OLA(s), and the SD should monitor the work of the support team(s) vs this(these) OLA(s).

unfortunately, some so-called "ITIL-Compliant" tools do not allow that ...

Alternatively, you may arrange for reports on opened & closed tickets to be automatically generated, so that the SD can know what tickets were closed or are still opened, on a regular basis (at least every -early- morning).

rgds.
JP Gilles
UKVIKING
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:48 am

Ljdigih

Are you using a Ticket system - Remedy, ServiceNow, etc

Track through that
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter