Implementing effective and efficient Service Desk

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
Tingtong

Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:51 am

Hi!
Im in a new company Im looking for practical assistance on how i go about in building most effective and efficient Service desk aligned with ICT objectives.Currently we do not have any form of documentation for procedures/policies.We are using ITSM 7 with poor catergories and management always complain about the poor quality of data captured on the ITSM systems.
The problem is management needs Detail resolution,why calls went out of sla ,we unable to provide them with that information as technicians and administrators do not care about providing that information as it seems is not on their KPI's.
Service desk is not informed of any changes in the enviroment be the projects or migration we are not being prepared to respond effectively to our customers.
We logged several problems and major incidents not review or RCA provided and the next thing management blamed service desk for not requesting the information from assignee.

Anything is blamed on the Service desk .
Noting that two third of the staff are Interns.

Myself i have over ten years experience in Technical Support and Service desk in Energy,Manufacturing,Telecommunication and Public sector as well as in Academic sector .i have completed Incident managemnent and Service Desk Practinior certificate as well as ITIL foundation.

Moving Foward
Without the employment of consultant as I know would take years due to procurement processes ,I want practical assistance in normalising the situation in My service Desk.

I have already started to drafting some internal procedures,compiling ITSM catergories,Cordinating Problem and Major incidents.

Thanks
tingtong

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:42 am

Tingtong,

The pain, issues etc are all self inflicted.

Nothing will change until you fix the tool
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
sTaD
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:21 am

Unless you implement some governance around using the Service Management Tool and update the existing categories etc your going to lose!