Worldwide Service Desk number

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
elvenil
Itiler
Itiler

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:47 am

So, here's the deal: we have 3 offices in 3 continents and we want the users in all the offices to be able to dial one number for the service desk. So, office A in Europe will dial the number xyz to get local service desk support, then office B in the US will have to dial the same number xyz to get local service desk support and office C in Asia will dial number xyz for their local support.

When the Europe users are working, the xyz number will be ringing to the European office. Then, after that office closes for the day, the xyz number will be ringing to the US office and when that office closes, the xyz number will be ringing to the Asia office.

With this way, all the users will know that this xyz number will be available 24h. Somehow I have to find a way so this number will be switching locations automatically after one office closes for the day and it'll be wringing in another location.

Any ideas if I can do this?

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:46 am

Well

for one, I don't know the technology that is available to you / your organisation
for two, this sounds like consulting activities than an opinion

I do have an answer, but, as it is consulting work; I want to be paid.
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
elvenil
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:10 am

UKVIKING wrote:Well

for one, I don't know the technology that is available to you / your organisation
for two, this sounds like consulting activities than an opinion

I do have an answer, but, as it is consulting work; I want to be paid.

Sure, but now with the Brexit I would expect something cheap, OK?
elvenil
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:27 am

And just to be clear with my last answer, I know this would be done easily by a consultant, just like everything else would be done easily by a consultant. If I was to hire a consultant to do this, I wouldn't post my question here.

I posted my question so I can start from somewhere and do it by myself. I can go to any other forum and ask to get an answer (and I will get an answer somewhere), so my friend UKVIKING if you have something in your mind and want to share it, be my guest. If not, then just don't reply at all :)

Thank you
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:54 am

Elvenil

The first point I made is still valid. I have no idea what technology that you have available to your self - infrastructure wise. So I can only surmise

The very general answer is of course..

I guess you should use technology to solve this issue at the source - your offices - as opposed to the technology at the telco / carrier.

NOTED: I used the Telco - AT&T to solve this issue - to have an 800 number flip every 12 hours between London and Honolulu.

As this is not consulting, I do not expect to be paid for the post as it is merely an opinion or advice.
John Hardesty

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:57 am

Please note that you should get a heaping clue by 4 from my post as to what technology would solve this - but as I don't know the infrastructure set up, I do not want to say
John Hardesty

elvenil
Itiler
Itiler

Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:25 am

Thank you very much Unviking. Now I can say I changed my mind of you...

I've already spoken with the telco and unfortunately they can't provide me with a 800 number. What they suggested is to configure my PBXs to forward to different local service desk numbers during the day and then find a provider to give me a 800 number for the people who are on a trip or not in the office.

I am investigating now the costs.

Thanks again.
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:39 pm

More hints Are you using VOIP at all in the offices ?

If the staff had a internal number - a unique number that the prefix is not used in any office set 4357000 help

Then if the VOIP number could be used to vcycle between the SDs
John Hardesty