Policy Creation

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
Illy

Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:42 am

I have been tasked within implementing an ITIL based service desk. Yes, that is exactly what I have been told I am expected to do.

Thing is, that the people who have instructed me to carry out this activity do not currently seem to recognise that the Service Desk cannot be a standalone element and that the entire company will need to be involved in the provision of an ITIL-based service.

I am already in the process of holding meetings with various stakeholders to outline this point, and so far the responses have been slightly surprised at just how much work will be needed, but largely positive to the overview explanation of the whats and whys.

I am trying to create the bare bones of Policy documentation for Incident, Problem and Change management, and would appreciate suggestions on additional elements to include. Currently listed are:

Purpose of document
Scope
Definitions
High level Process Description (including engagement with other functions)
List of Supporting Documentation

Considering that the Policy is meant to contain the "what we will do" part, rather than the "how we will do", is this small number of headings likely to be sufficient.

Sorry for the long pre-amble. I realise that all companies will have different policy requirements, depending on their business, but I was wondering if anyone could possibly steer me on elements which are likely to be common to all when it comes to the layout.

I have a LOT of work ahead of me, and I want to provide the senior leadership team with the best possible information I can, to support their buy-in to implement ITIL. Any guidance from those who have gone through this before, gratefully received.

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:44 pm

First thing

DONT IMPLEMENT ITIL.

Second thing

Implement IT Service Management using better (best) practice for the industry - ITIL
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter