Does the presence of a workaround affect the priority of an incident?

An open discussion on issues related directly or primarily to the service or help desk.
christianMDU

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:50 am

I'm new to ITIL and looking for feedback/opinion on whether or not the presence of a known workaround affects the priority (urgency vs. impact)?
The workaround is valid but means the user has to change the way they would normally do things.

A little bit of background: an in-house application has search functionality built into it. A release over the weekend messed up some of that search.
The values that were in drop-down menu 1 are now in drop-down menu 2. The values that were in drop-down menu 2 are now in menu 1.

Could a known workaround, applied to a P2 ever mean that the priority is lowered to a P3 or even a P4? For me, I see a P3 as only ever affecting one user.
The urgency may change but the impact doesn't as it still affects the same number of users without the workaround.

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:57 am

The incident can be closed if the work around is applied and the users can use the functionality

The classification - priority and severity - should not be changed

And it also depends on your IM Policy
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
christianMDU

Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:56 am

UKVIKING wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:57 am
The incident can be closed if the work around is applied and the users can use the functionality

The classification - priority and severity - should not be changed

And it also depends on your IM Policy
Thanks!