Problem identification

Discussion on issues related directly or largely to ITIL problem management.
Krish_kutta

Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Hi

According to my understanding, once scenario of problem mangement is, If a same incident is repeated again and again then it will come under problem management.
But if a same incident is repeated for different customer, will that come into problem mangement?

Thanks & Regards,
Krishnan R

viv121
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:10 pm

Krish,

Good question. From a purist point of view, yes we should have problem management in the way uou have mentioned. However, you have answered the question yourself. You mentioned and I quote " According to my understanding, once scenario of problem mangement is, If a same incident is repeated again and again then it will come under problem management"

The answer is that the incident logging shouln't be done on the user who calls up but the CIs which bcome faulty on a recuring basis. ITIL don't put a governance on such issues and its wrong to have a parent (user)problem associated with . This is used as a call reduction exercise in many areas now/
regards,

Vivek
"the only statistics you can trust are those you falsified yourself"
Winston Churchill
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:11 am

Krish, Viv

If a incident repeats and the PM process deems it relevant for PM to find root cause... and they are working on the root cause / work around etc

it DOES not matter whether the incident is happening to one customer or 1 million customer. The PM does NOT look at this from a customer point of view but a incident point of view. The PM process works to find the solution / work around / root cause
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
Diarmid
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:59 am

UKVIKING wrote:...but a incident point of view.
Well, strictly, from a service quality point of view, irrespective of customer.

This is even true where the customer is the problem (I'm in an evil mood this morning - lost at chess last night)

The only complication that comes to mind is that for some types of problems (especially ones not related closely to your infrastructure) you might need separate solutions for different customers or your solution might seem like overkill for some customers but necessary for others.

Ach! That's too big a topic to get into now.
"Method goes far to prevent trouble in business: for it makes the task easy, hinders confusion, saves abundance of time, and instructs those that have business depending, both what to do and what to hope."
William Penn 1644-1718
smehdi
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:40 am

I agree with Diarmid. To initiate a PM process , we focus on recurring issue irrespective of the customers.Not sure what difference will it make , if it is faced by the same or different customer.

But what is more important is to address the issue at the earliest.