Improvements in Incident Volume

Discussion on issues related directly or largely to ITIL problem management.
DustinW07
Itiler
Itiler

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:29 am

For those of you with formal Problem Management processes implemented within your organization, what sort of percentage reduction in Incident Record volume have you seen year-over-year since 2010 or 2011? I know all organizations are different, but I'm curious to see what improvements (measured in %) you've seen at your organization as your Problem Management processes have become more mature.

Thanks.

MadhavaVermaDantuluri
Itiler
Itiler

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:53 pm

In my organization, i have reduced the volume of incidents with below practice changes:

1. Made a strong list of repeated problems and had development and product teams prioritize for implementations.
2. Providing the better training programs to users, to avoid the functionality related incidents which are working as per design.
3. Account team to be aware of the ongoing defects which are in system and categorize into functionality and in turn avoid the duplicate incidents.
~ Share the knowledge
Madhava Verma Dantuluri
ChangingMan
Itiler
Itiler

Fri May 02, 2014 5:01 am

I would think it would be very difficult to state as a % how much incident reduction occurs in a business as a result of problem management.

The reason fo that is because 1. The effectiveness of problem management varies from business to business. 2. Companies rarley have a static environment.

The only thing we can say for sure is that in a like for like comparison Problem Management done correctly will reduce incidents.