Process focused Problem Management is not working.

Discussion on issues related directly or largely to ITIL problem management.
ProblemGuyAKLC

Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:05 pm

I've been working in a process focused problem management environment supporting 10,000 plus users for two years. My organisation does not use SLT's (SLA's) connected to KPI's. This means team leaders and managers providing a service don't put focus or urgency into reducing incident numbers. In turn they do not use problem management enough or follow through with investigating their problems. This is very frustrating. I have tried influencing behaviors and have had minimal success as support teams still don't perform trend analysis or identify problem candidates. In fact there is plenty of evidence of the problem process playing out in the incident process and the Incident process playing out in emails.
We have floated the idea of the problem management team becoming proactive in reducing incidents and doing this by using trend analysis to target high volume incident areas. Yes this means problem ownership sits with the problem management team.

Question: Can someone please tell me what pitfalls we could come across and provide suggestions on how to create a proactive problem management environment successfully?
A proactive problem management environment appears to be what the IS/ICT leaders want.

History: Currently I'm the sole problem coordinator in the organisation and manage the problem process and all activities related to it. Yes - it's hard to get traction when you are a lower life form. The process based approach has been in place for approx. 6 to 7 years and has had little buy in.

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:42 am

What I see is a Incident Management related issue
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
UKIT
Senior Itiler
Senior Itiler

Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:40 am

The pitfalls could be getting something done when your find a potential problem that could result in an incident.
If your organisation doesn’t have SLA’s, presumably there is no rush to resolve incidents which is a tad strange to say the least.
Would be interested to see what KPI’s are in place.

From experience when performing the annual audit of our datacentre as part of my role at the time in Configuration Management to ensure CMDB accuracy, spotting single points of failure (SPOF) was part of the audit process.
SPOF being servers with a single power supply (Non redundant/ non hot pluggable) or a single network card for example.
When I presented my findings to senior IT management, they were keen to address such shortfalls as loss of service to the business could result in considerable financial loss.
Sounds like you should be taking your skills and dedication to another organisation who actually value what you are trying to achieve.
Presumably if it was the payroll server that was going down on a regular basis, those in your organisation who appear to show no interest in problem management would be the first to complain.