Risks related to Problems (Advice & Guidance needed)

Discussion on issues related directly or largely to ITIL problem management.
snertos999

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:45 am

1st post, please be kind!
I working as the Problem policy lead for a large public sector organisation in Wales. (As well as other Service Management duties)
I am in the process of reviewing and updating the statuses we currently use with the help of a stakeholder group drawn from across the organisation.

One of the statuses I want to remove is 'Approved Risk' which tends to be used when a proposed fix for a Problem is put on hold. (Usually for resource reasons)
I don't personally see it as a true Problem lifecycle status as the true status of the Problem is being 'masked' by selecting this.

There is currently a Risk field selectable within the Problem record itself which has risk types such as Clinical, Business & Organisational etc but there is no risk score attached to this selection.

My take on risk is that there is a potential for something to go awry and if it does, this then becomes an issue.
If you are logging a reactive Problem, surely the risk is now an issue as it has happened already.
I understand the argument for selecting a risk type and score if you are logging a proactive Problem record as the risk has not yet been realised (Issue)

Any advice and guidance greatly appreciated.

UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:58 pm

No need to double post
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter
snertos999

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:16 am

I could see this sub forum was dead hence me posting it on the main board.
Apologies.
UKVIKING
ITIL Expert
ITIL Expert

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:51 pm

none are dead just less frequently used
John Hardesty
ITSM Manager's Certificate (Red Badge)

Change Management is POWER & CONTROL. /....evil laughter