Blurried notions tto ttr sla slt

General discussion on all aspects of the IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
Casmer

Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:18 am

Hello,
I discover the itil concept that I find very interesting
I am beginner so do not be too hard with me if you find my question stupid
The tto (time to own) is the maximum value allowed between the creation of a ticket and its assignement. Right ?
I would like to know how to set the ttr (time to resolve or repair). The ttr is based on the creation of the ticket or when the ticket is assigned ?
Can you explain me the differences between SLA and SLT please ?
Regards,
Casmer

Corde Wagner
Itiler
Itiler

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:01 pm

Hello Casmer,

For each process, the ITIL provides a number of possible critical success factors (CSF) and key performance indicators (KPI), any of which can be used by an organization. A "TTO" is not one of those KPIs that the ITIL references, but that doesn't mean you cannot define this type of metric for your use.

What is important is that the metrics you do use are well defined, data can be obtained and that it serves to provide useful information for managing and improving your services and processes. For example, if you want to use a measurement for "time to resolve", you will need to be able to capture the data that is measured (e.g. from the time the incident is detected until the incident is considered "resolved"), you must have clearly defined what "detect" means, how "resolve" is defined and how these are measured. Because metrics that do not contribute value to the organization and/or the customer, it's important that this measurement will serve the purpose of improving your organizations service delivery.

Does this make sense? If not, let me know.
Last edited by Corde Wagner on Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Corde Wagner
ITIL Expert & CASM
Corde Wagner
Itiler
Itiler

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:17 pm

Casmer,

The ITIL defines an SLA (Service Level Agreement) to be an "agreement" which from my experience in service delivery implies the customer can have a reasonable amount of expectation that the agreed service levels will be met. Also in my experience, this is contrasted with an SLT (Service Level Target) which is defined as a "commitment" and I have explained to my customers this implies our "best effort" will be applied to meet the agreed service levels.

From ITIL v3-2011 Glossary, here's the definition for both SLA and SLT:
SLA: An agreement between an IT service provider and a customer. A service level agreement describes the IT service, documents service level targets, and specifies the responsibilities of the IT service provider and the customer. A single agreement may cover multiple IT services or multiple customers. See also operational level agreement.

SLT: A commitment that is documented in a service level agreement. Service level targets are based on service level requirements, and are needed to ensure that the IT service is able to meet business objectives. They should be SMART, and are usually based on key performance indicators.

I hope this helps but if not, let me know.
Corde Wagner
ITIL Expert & CASM