MALC???

ITIL Experts share updates and answer questions
Jeff22

Fri May 17, 2019 3:46 pm

Is MALC worth taking now that ITIL 4 is out?

tedderpd
Itiler
Itiler

Mon May 20, 2019 9:49 am

Great question! For the first time ever, there are two versions of ITIL (ITILv3 and ITIL 4) that are available for training/certification, so l can understand why you’d like to know if it’s worth taking MALC.

The answer, of course, is “it depends”. :)

The ITIL 4 curriculum is not yet released, and candidly, while I like what ITIL 4 Foundation discusses, my gut tells me that ITIL 4 Foundation is just the tip of the iceberg with respect to the what the full ITIL 4 body of knowledge will be discussing. So if you really want to test your knowledge regarding the application of ITIL concepts across the lifecycle of a service, MALC is the current best way to do that.

Two key topics that MALC covers that I think are key to success in using ITIL to support ITSM are:
- Understanding the benefits, challenges, and risks of each phase of the lifecycle and managing cross-lifecycle processes
- Things that should be considered when managing and improving services and the service management practices

While ITIL 4 is moving away the lifecycle concept, I still think understanding these concepts will serve service managers well.

Other things to consider:
- cost
- time investment
- migration to the ITIL 4 qualification scheme (essentially, the MALC credits “don’t count” toward the ITIL 4 MP qualification.

Hope this helps!